Saturday, December 31, 2016

Star Wars: Destiny of the Jedi

Last year I got really excited about the Force Awakens so I picked up FFG's Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG. It's a story-ish system that uses custom non-numbered polyhedrons with a dice pool mechanic. A couple friends and I played through a mini-campaign book called "Chronicle of the Gatekeeper". It was great!
A couple of young college dropouts discovered they have force powers as they travel the galaxy following in the footsteps of a Jedi Knight who fought in the Clone Wars all the while exploring various crazy planets, negotiating with gangsters, escaping storm troopers and battling rancor beasts.
There are pluses and minuses to the system and the adventure. It's really dense and tends to fall back on stuff like, "In this section, do what seems most dramatic" which isn't super inspiring, but the thing is, it that what I tend to do anyways and it worked great. The module was a bit of a trip down Clone Wars history, which could only be so compelling in a truly shared world like Star Wars.
The best part was actually the final battle where it all came together in spectacular fashion. The battle was more role play than combat, with the players basically reflecting on the entire arc of the story in order to make their point to the villain. And it still came down to a final, improbable die roll!
Really good times. I don't think I'll be a full time Star Wars GM, but I'll definitely come back to this game.

Postscript: I wrote this post a year ago, and although I enjoyed Rogue One, it didn't inspire me to dedicate more time to this game. I have played in it as a player recently, and hope to do so more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment